Articles tagged with worklessness
Why campaigning for the right to work and employment should be a priority
“The welfare reform debate is confined to a single question: which Party can make it most difficult to get onto and stay on social security benefits.” Neil Crowther argues that we need a campaign about employment and work, rather than talking about welfare reform.
Another Government ‘Fag packet’ proposal for benefit sanctions and cuts?
“Rarely do I come across a Tory Policy proposal that makes me both Smile (albeit at the irony) and Shudder (with fear); but today’s report in the Telegraph does exactly this…” Jayne Linney looks at the proposals to force benefit claimants with anxiety and depression to seek treatment.
Does welfare-to-work boost well-being?
“Improving well-being through welfare-to-work is not straightforward. To make stronger and more widespread gains, it is likely that the government will have to try a much different approach.” Daniel Sage considers whether welfare to work programmes improve the well-being of unemployed people.
Endemic ‘creaming and parking’ on the Work Programme
“On the basis of the modeling I undertook when tendering for these (Work Programme) contracts, given the discounts widely offered, about 30% of the jobseekers might find and keep jobs. For the other 70%, there will be little or no assistance.” Richard Johnson argues that the design of the Work Programme makes creaming and parking of clients by prime contractors inevitable.
Cycling not shirking
The shirkers/strivers debate is founded in misconception – assuming there are two static groups in opposition to each other misunderstands and misrepresents the dynamism of the labour market. Even at times of high unemployment there is considerable flux as people cycle between work and worklessness, low pay and no pay. Last week’s publication of the TUC […]